We are back from the summer vacation with a new song on the evergrowing Farmor Records playlist. "You" is a track that deviates quite a bit from the previous releases and delves into the nostalgia of the 80s and rhythms of a discotheque. Get to know to the artist behind it - Klara Kondrup aka Kelana. Big thanks to Rasmus B. Strøyer and Emil Assmouse for capturing the moments.
- So, who are Klara Kondrup and Kelana? How are they different? How are they the same?
- To me, Klara, being free is the most important feeling in the world. Free to go your own way, and free to be wild and to try something new every day. So I wanted to try to make a different type of music, than the music I’ve been writing before. And so Kelana came. She is very new. Also to me. I needed a fresh start. A new and free beginning, and I feel like it’s finally here. And I’m really excited to get to know her!
- What has been on your mind recently?
- My mind has been full of changes. Changes in my life and changes in my mood. I recently started studying Chinese, so that takes up most of the space. I’ve met a lot of people, and said goodbye to some. I’ve found many new interests and neglected some old ones. So mostly changes.
- Wow, Chinese? How did that come about?
- I’ve just always been a language freak. It took me a long time to choose between Arabic, Russian and Chinese. But then at the end it was just a feeling. So I have a few thousand Chinese signs to learn within the next few years, and I’m really excited about it! Also, China’s history is really interesting. And the future as well. A lot to learn, and a lot to think about.
- What inspires you to write music?
I think I’m a very passionate and dramatic person so I can almost always find something that I care deeply about. And then I write about that. I try to stay out of ordinary topics, so sometimes the songs become a bit strange. A song about shark-fishing and how I hate the people behind it, a song about being a leaf of grass and a song about how I don’t like what money does to people.
- How did you come up with the song “You”?
- Well, actually this song is of the least ordinary topic of all: love. It was one of the first songs I wrote, and I wrote the lyrics in my swimming pool in South Africa. I had just bought a guitar and I could barely play on it, but I found a friend at school who could. So, we played this song again and again.
It’s weird because I was quite young at the time and I didn’t really know true love and heartbreak. But over the years as I’ve listened to it, it gives me goosebumps. Because since then, this song has been able to tell exactly how I feel - more than once. Future-emotions-song.
- What influenced the cover design for the song?
- I’m quite a sentimental person, and I often listen to music from the 70’s and 80’s. So, I wanted something retro to represent me. And at the same time, I like a lot of color and especially the color blue. I think Emil and Rasmus captured that really well.
- Any future plans?
- I want to write more music. And more music in this direction. It makes me happy writing music that you want to dance to. I’ve found my genre.
And then, hopefully one day I will be speaking Chinese, haha!
- The final question. Do you think that the universe is a friendly place?"
- No. I’m sorry, but I don’t think the universe is either friendly or evil. It’s just here. No bigger meaning to it or feeling behind it. And I even go to church on Sundays.
with your friends!