"You Got Me"
Farmor Records kicks off 2019 with a new look and a new artist spotlight. Mikkel Linding has been writing music for years now and finally we "got him". We sat down to write a message to Mikkel and ask him some questions about himself and his new song "You Got Me". Here is what we've received in return!
So, who is Mikkel Linding?
- I am a 22 year old guy from Sønderjylland Vojens, who loves listening to a lot of different types of music while doing whatever. I have played the guitar since I was 13 years old. I never went to guitar lessons, I just watched a lot of videos on Youtube.
What helps you to get out of bed in the morning?
- It's mainly the thought of making a living playing, listening and making music. I'd like to think that there is always a way to improve myself, to become better at making music, and just to inspire people with music. Also, there are so many things to experience and to do in the world.
So I'm trying to wake up early to get the most out of every day. Yeah.. it sounds kind of cheesy, I know. But I have found myself, too many times, going to bed too late and thinking I could have gotten more out of this day. I get sleepy after dinner, so I just want to relax. If I go to bed at 10pm and wake up 6-7am in the morning, I will get more out of the day, instead of going to bed at 12-01am and waking up 8-9am. Then I can do the important and necessary stuff before my day really begins, and then I have the day to do what I like to do. At least that's what I want to do. I know it's different from person to person, but I'd like to have 2 hours extra in the morning instead of 2 hours before bed. In some way I find that quite inspiring.
What inspires you to write songs?
- I can't think of a world without music. I like to think it is the only language everyone speaks. I want people to feel something and think while listening to my music. If it's joy, sadness, weirdness, a feeling of rhythm or even if they cannot describe it, it doesn't matter. That's why i want to write lyrics that does not give the meaning to you right away. You should be able to interpret it in your own way. We are all different. You enjoy music differently than the person sitting next to you, even if you are listening to the exact same song. That's why I really love the song "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. It has so many different cover versions by so many musicians. It's my number 1 song that inspires me, because there are so many different interpretations of the meaning to this song, and people experience it differently. I want people to catch a feeling while listening to my music, as I do while listening the music i like.
What about the song "You Got Me"? Is it based on a true story?
What was the process behind the recording of the song?
- Yes, it is about a girl I once was in love with. We tried to have something together, but she liked me as a friend and nothing more. I tried to like her just as a friend, but that was very difficult, if not impossible. So, the song is about the struggle of wanting to escape being in love with someone, because they aren't in love with you.
I am very happy that Darius would help me record "You got me" and also do the mixing and mastering. We started with the recording of vocals and acoustic guitar, which I did myself. Then Asger got a rough demo to listen to while playing the drums. After recording the drums we then re-recorded the vocal and acoustic guitar so it would fit the drums. At last Martin recorded the electric guitar, bass and keys. A huge thanks to those guys!
Photo: Mikkel Schwitzer Justesen
How did you find your way to Nørgaards Højskole?
- I looked for a school that had both music and film acting, because I wasn't certain which I prefer the most. I then found out that I love doing music the most, so I wanted to put my focus into that.
Do you have any future plans?
- I'm not certain how and which way, but I know I want to make a living doing music. I know it can be tough in the beginning, but it's something I just have to try. I have loved music my whole life and I will never stop loving it.
with your friends!